lichess.org
Donate

Who thinks Hans Niemann is cheating in the Sinquefield cup 2022?

@ohcomeon_1 said in #47:
> The fact that Magnus is silent means one of two things:
>
> 1. He indeed thinks that Hans has cheated.
> 2. He does not think that Hans has cheated but does not care that his actions have caused a massive misunderstanding that resulted in an innocent person's reputation drugged through the mud.

Perhaps it could mean other things:
* He thinks some other circumstances about the event and/or his team are unacceptable to the extent that they void his contract
* Some other significant event not health-related occurred, more important than chess
@aescht said in #50:
> I don't think it was a well calculated decision.
>
> It more and more looks like Magnus was salty and impulsive because he lost to new, lower rated player who mocked him after the loss ("must be embarassing to lose to an idiot like me").
> And in his grief he went for a path to harm Hans' career by bringing up his cheating past and make chess.com ban him from their site.
>
> Typical human stuff that happens in different colors over and over in history.

It's hard for me to think that Carlsen would do something so serious out of pettiness.
From chessbase en.chessbase.com/post/the-carlsen-niemann-affair
"The second and most obvious missing piece here is any shred of genuine evidence to condemn Hans Niemann. The fact is that while some pointed out Hans Niemann's excellent play and win against Magnus Carlsen as a source of suspicion, more significant was the poor quality of the World Champion's play against Hans. As a colleague was quick to point out, "with those mistakes any 2700 would have beaten Carlsen." In other words, Magnus lost the game through his own doing, and not as a result of god-like moves unleashed by his opponent."

there is no shread of evidence. I mean these internet detectives mystey eartouching and online cheats years a ago. sorry those do not constitute evidence of anything
@Toadofsky said in #52:
> Perhaps it could mean other things:
> * He thinks some other circumstances about the event and/or his team are unacceptable to the extent that they void his contract
> * Some other significant event not health-related occurred, more important than chess

All of this is covered in the second scenario. If the reason has nothing to do with Hans, why would Magnus not say so and put a stop to the public lynching of Hans? Just one tweet would set things straight.
@esmiro said in #53:
> It's hard for me to think that Carlsen would do something so serious out of pettiness.

Yeah let's see, hopefully time will tell.

The thing is, Magnus never really was on the receiving end of losing. At least rarely. We only know him being the GOAT. Also being a bit arrogant, which seemed ok, because he usually knows best.

People tended to hype him up as a super idol, but what do we really know about him. He probably is a human being with many flaws, like anybody else, with godlike chess skills. Probably very, very intelligent, but his emotional maturity, who knows? I don't at least :D
I think he's innocent until the opposite is proven. Would someone bother himself to cheat in such a safe secure place like in the STL Chess Club? And why? Anyway, we don't have enough information to prove Hans cheated; We only have one game, and GMs know chess very well (better than me :(). We can be sure a for example 1300 cheated, but we can't be sure a GM cheated, because GMs play veery accurately and rarely do mistakes in long time controls.
I was reserving judgement until I read chessbases report today. Now I am convinced he didn't cheat.
Magnus has been petulant for some time now. If the evidence for cheating is that a top player found the best move on the board, more than once, then Magnus has been cheating for most of his career.
Even though Cheating scan dales are spreading about hans we should not disrespect such a chess player who is famous world wide, I Think this is not a topic to discuss.
@ElephantMushroom said in #58:
> I was reserving judgement until I read chessbases report today. Now I am convinced he didn't cheat.

Where is the chessbase report?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.